About Zuckerberg San Francisco General
Caring for our community for more than 140 years
- Operates the ONLY trauma center serving 1.5 million residents of San Francisco & northern San Mateo County; has the highest trauma center designation (Level 1), which increases a seriously injured patient’s chances of survival by an estimated 20-25%.
- Trauma team treats almost 4,000 severely injured patients annually who suffer from falls, burns, gunfire, assault, work or vehicle-related accidents.
- In the event of a major man-made or natural disaster (i.e., earthquake or airline accident), Zuckerberg San Francisco General is the City’s health care leader and primary medical provider.
- Busiest emergency room, receiving 1/3 of all ambulances.
- ONLY provider of psychiatric emergency care; largest provider of acute psychiatric care.
- In 2011, Zuckerberg San Francisco General became the first hospital in the country to be certified for a Traumatic Brain Injury program.
- Treats over 100,000 patients annually (approximately 1 in 8 San Franciscans).
- Provides 20% of the inpatient care in the City.
- City’s largest primary care facility, serving San Franciscans of all ages with four on-site outpatient clinics.
- Provides comprehensive subspecialty medical (e.g., GI, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Dermatology, etc.) and surgical care (e.g., oral surgery, urology, plastic surgery, OB/GYN, orthopaedic surgery, etc).
- Serves as the frontline in the battle against rapidly spreading infectious disease.
- Lynchpin of the City’s Healthy San Francisco (HSF) program, providing primary and specialty inpatient, outpatient, and trauma care for thousands.
- Provides specialized care to thousands of people living with HIV.
- Only Baby Friendly hospital in San Francisco certified by the World Health Organization,
with 1,200 babies delivered annually.
- Cares for 34,000 children per year, more than any other hospital in San Francisco, with its combination of primary, specialty, hospital and psychiatric services.
- Delivers comprehensive women’s health services including the Avon Comprehensive Breast Care Center and a full spectrum of culturally competent services for pre-natal and birthing care.
- Operates at 97 percent capacity, compared to 80 percent national average
- Provides a range of services to populations that would not otherwise be able to afford care,
including the uninsured, underinsured, homeless and immigrants.
- Care is provided to any citizen who needs it, regardless of ability to pay.
- More than three-quarters of Zuckerberg San Francisco General’s patients are uninsured or covered by Medi-Cal.
- 75% of those cared for are from racial, et