Create a Heart
Our Call for 2017 Heart Sculpture Artists Is Now Closed.
History of Hearts in San Francisco
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation’s Hearts in San Francisco project debuted in 2004. Under the leadership of Nancy Bechtle and Ellen Magnin Newman, 131 beautiful and inspired Heart Sculptures were created by local artists. For three months, these Heart Sculptures were placed on display for the public to enjoy and prior to their auction. Surpassing its original fundraising goal, Hearts in San Francisco raised nearly $2 million for the Foundation. The project generated a new level of exposure for the Foundation’s mission, as well as the Zuckerberg San Francisco General’s vital role in our community as a provider or life-saving and life-changing care to anyone in need, regardless of ability to pay. Our “heartworks” have become an icon of the San Francisco.
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation’s mission is to promote research, education, and care for all at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center. On an annual basis, a limited series of Heart Sculptures are created by local San Francisco Bay Area artists in support of the Foundation. Our Heart Sculptures play a lead role in the Foundation’s Annual Fundraiser Events held in February of each year. Heart Sculptures are both auctioned to raise critical funds for the Foundation and shared as a special token of appreciation with our Premier Event Sponsors.
Anyone may submit a design and application to create a Heart Sculpture. Artists may submit multiple designs. Please note: Design submissions will not be returned. Heart Sculpture Artists are selected by a committee of San Francisco General Hospital Foundation Staff, Foundation Board Members, and Community Volunteers. The number of Heart Sculptures produced varies each year, as does the number of Heart Artists selected.
Heart Sculptures are made of fiberglass and attached to a steel base. Our sculptures are currently available in three sizes:
1) Large Heart Sculptures are 5 feet tall x 6 feet wide x 40 inches depth; 400 pounds
2) Table Top Heart Sculptures are 16 inches tall x 17 inches wide x 8 inches depth; 25 pounds
3) Mini Heart Sculptures are 7 inches tall x 6 inches wide x 2 inches depth; 5 pounds
Application and Submission Checklist
1. Read the Artist Application Guidelines
2. Review the Important Deadlines and Project Timeline
3. Complete the Heart Sculpture Artist Application
4. Prepare and include a brief biography
5. Complete the Heart Sculpture Artist License Agreement
6. Prepare a full color design rendering(s) size 8.5″ x 11″ or larger (will not be returned)
7. Submit all materials: online, via US mail, email or in-person
- Online: http://sfghf.org/CreateAHeart (all materials must be uploaded via online form)
- U.S. Mail: San Francisco General Hospital Foundation, P.O. Box 410836, San Francisco, CA 94141
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject: Artist Application
- In-Person: San Francisco General Hospital Foundation, 2789 25th Street, Suite 2028, San Francisco, CA 94110
Questions? Please contact Elaine Leong – Events Manager (628) 206-5959 or email@example.com.