Create a Heart
The 2020 application and selection process is now closed. We thank everyone who submitted designs this year, making it a record breaking application year for Hearts in San Francisco.
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation’s Hearts in San Francisco project debuted in 2004. Under the leadership of Nancy Bechtle and Ellen Magnin Newman, 131 beautiful and inspired Heart Sculptures were created by local artists. The project generated a new level of exposure for the Foundation’s mission, as well as the Zuckerberg San Francisco General’s vital role in our community
On an annual basis, a limited series of Heart Sculptures are created by San Francisco Bay Area artists. The Heart Sculptures play a lead role in the Foundation’s Annual Fundraiser Events held in February of each year. Heart Sculptures are both auctioned to raise critical funds for the Foundation and shared as a special token of appreciation with our Premier Event Sponsors.
The 2020 Hearts in San Francisco series will include:
(10) Large Heart Sculptures
5 feet tall x 6 feet wide x 40 inches depth; 400 pounds
(8) Table Top Heart Sculptures
16 inches tall x 17 inches wide x 8 inches depth; 25 pounds
(15) Mini Heart Sculptures
7 inches tall x 6 inches wide x 2 inches depth; 5 pounds
Our selected Heart Artists will receive an honorarium to help cover the cost of supplies.
- Large Heart Sculpture artists will receive $1,000.
- Table Top Heart Sculpture artists will receive $500.
- Mini Heart Sculpture artists will receive $200.
Heart Artists have the option to donate their honorarium back to the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation.
Honorarium is distributed in two equal installments. First installment will be mailed within 10 business days of an artist having received their Heart Sculpture. Second installment will be mailed within 10 business days of the Foundation receiving the completed Heart Sculpture.
Heart Sculpture Artists are selected by a committee of San Francisco General Hospital Foundation Staff, Foundation Board Members, and Community Volunteers. The number of Heart Sculptures produced varies each year, as does the number of Heart Artists selected.
Necessary project details:
1. Read the Artist Application Guidelines
2. Review the Important Deadlines and Project Timeline
3. Complete the Heart Sculpture Artist Application
4. Prepare and include a Brief Biography / Resume
5. Complete the Heart Sculpture Artist License Agreement
6. Prepare a full color design rendering(s) size 8.5″ x 11″ or larger (will not be returned). Please include the title, medium and a brief statement (2 sentences maximum) about each submission. Click here for Sample Template.
7. Submit all materials either via online, US mail, email or in-person
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our Hearts Gallery to view images of past Hearts in San Francisco sculptures.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]